Born with nothing, Die with everything

No comments
By Neeraj Shinde
Pune, India
http://shindeneeraj.blogspot.com/

The biggest parody of life lies in the fact that things come to you when you are no more interested in getting them, do not need them or sometimes even used to live without them. You wake up with a dream and find ways to realize them, you choose one of the feasible paths, setup milestones and start walking towards the long way leaving behind several crossroads, valleys of obstacles and mountains of pessimism; looking at each milestone you had left behind with contentment. That indeed illustrates your sense of accomplishment. Then you feel weary and go to sleep. The next day you open your eyes, you already behold another dream. You build up new targets, re-setup a new set of milestones and resume the marathon walk, the walk of life. We all do it and shall continue to do it for a notion of accomplishment, sense of ownership and possession. I do it too, most of the times by will, sometimes even compelled and at times without even a reason.

But do we really possess what we say we own - is the question I asked myself when I met Mr. Sahani. I was lying on a bed way back in November 2007 at the Sagar Apollo Hospital in Bangalore trying to recuperate my ACL injury and he was sharing my room on another bed. Barely in his early fifties, Mr. Sahani had survived three heart-attacks and here he was beside me after beating the latest one, waiting for his open-heart surgery the very next day. It was the day when one of the Ambani brothers gifted a Rs. 242 crore jet to his wife and I was reading this news for my elderly room-mate attempting to keep him entertained. I read the whole news for him aloud and noticed him smile.

"I don't feel anything for money, nor such worldly pleasures", he said giving me a divine look "It's just that I want to spend as much time as permitted with my family".

He kept on speaking that day; he spoke about his accomplishments, his son, elder daughter and how he fought for everything he had achieved. His face looked as innocent as a new-born, devoid of desires or aspirations. I was not in a position good enough to figure out what should be expected out of a person who had cheated death not just once or twice but thrice.

They said, Mr. Sahani was shifted to another ward after his surgery but later learnt from the Nanny that he was out of this world.

The incident didn't fail to shake me. Certainly, it could have moved almost anyone. But this was short lived - the tremors of which faded with the passage of time. I gave it a thought but the outcome was nothing. I started walking again, started setting up dreams and building up milestones - all for the notions and caprices that made my each day happy. Every day, every moment brings me a new whim along that makes me work for my possessions or may be obsessions? I do not know!

Is it that a dying man could explain it better? I do not know this either.

No comments :

Post a Comment