Powerful Leadership Lessons from the "Missing Plate"

No comments

Once while on a business trip, I was invited by a customer delegate for dinner at an Indian restaurant somewhere in the San Francisco, Bay Area. The restaurant was managed and served by a sole waitress and the place was sparingly crowded. We were directed towards a table for four as we entered the restaurant. While the customer delegate and the other two inmates in our group took their seats, I rushed into the washroom for a quick one. When I returned to the table, it was noticed that the waitress had served only three plates on to the table. I took my seat. While the other two inmates started discussing the details on the menu, Indian savories and their preferences, the customer delegate looked uncomfortable. I unknowingly gauged the reason behind his discomfort as we learnt that the waitress was now busy attending other guests. It was obvious that the missing plate on the table was making him uncomfortable.

A silly picture I took outside my Hotel in the USA
The next moment I found myself engrossed in conversations with the other inmates while the customer delegate stepped off the table, probably for a quick wash, I thought. When he returned, he was carrying a plate in his hand. It was not too difficult for me to realize that he had walked into the kitchen and grabbed a plate for me. While I expressed my dismay to him for his kind little gesture for me, he ignored it and joined us in rejoicing our experiences at the Golden Gate bridge from the earlier part of that evening.

This humble act of him left a big mark on my mind and imparted several strong learnings of leadership. While the debate of whether Leaders are born or made continues, this incident has taught me that there is a much more human angle to it.

Lesson 1: Leaders Respect

Respect is a powerful value. Respect is something we show when we treat each other right. In the above case, the customer delegate was our project sponsor and could have waited for the waitress to attend us. He could have called her and requested for the missing plate on the table. The customer delegate did notice that she was busy with other guests and hence, decided to take a small step to fix the situation he did not find worthy enough to live with.

Lesson 2: Living the change through collaboration

It was evident that the delegate was disturbed by the situation. Taking that extra step to walk into the kitchen and interacting for a fresh plate is a great example of collaboration that we see in Agile environments. The outcome was a faster time to value and a greater user satisfaction. Modern leaders do not order, they act.

Lesson 3: Imparting an Even Stronger Message

A message is strongly delivered through silent gestures and not through words. In a broader sense, the customer delegate was accountable for the successful delivery of the upcoming project – the reason for me being with him. He tersely demonstrated this by making me feel special by taking good care of me. Caring for one another is infectious and is a vital tool to make people feel responsible.

Lesson 4: Being Humble yet Effective

While in several Asian countries, the job of a waiter is not considered that respectable. Ones willingness to take up that task strongly advocates the effectiveness of servant leadership. While working in a team, being cross functional and self-organized promises the team’s velocity and predictability. Being cross functional makes the team member more effective and valuable for the team.

In most of the cases, leadership merely needs a compassionate heart, willingness to act and living up the change one wishes to see. Success is just a byproduct of such an act.

In our day to day life, a leader’s role is filled with several choices. A leader could escalate, request the missing plate, order it or opt to place it himself to bring in that human touch and effectiveness to meet larger goals.

So what's your take with that missing plate?

No comments :

Post a Comment